The NWU Writing Centre is dedicated to the improvement of student academic writing. Developing one’s writing skills does not end at a university level, but is a lifelong skill and an invaluable tool for effective communication. The Writing Centre assists students in planning and structuring their written assignments. It is also a safe space in which students are assisted to become more confident in their own academic voice. To achieve this, the NWU has a number of consultants who assist students during consultations. This service is free of charge and students are welcome to make appointments with a consultant at any one of the three campuses’ writing centres.
More on the Mafikeng Campus
- The Mafikeng Campus Writing centre is a free service available to all NWU students. We offer one-on-one sessions with attentive and knowledgeable writing consultants. We engage trained M & D students as writing consultants. We can assist you with any writing project at any level, in any discipline, and at any stage in the writing process. We can help you brainstorm for an assignment, help structure your assignment and research, revise a lab report, or polish a cover letter for a job application. And maybe not start the sentence with "And“ while we are happy to help you improve any individual assignment, our ultimate goal is to help you become a more confident, competent writer!
- Whether we are helping you to understand an assignment, conduct research, make a revision plan, or master a documentation style perhaps use "referencing style" instead of "documentation style" (Harvard, APA, etc.), we will also help you to develop the skills necessary for successful academic writing.
- We will discuss with you all aspects of students’ writing ranging from assignments and research as far as generic framework, without crossing the boundary into supervisors’ territory.
- The Mafikeng Campus Writing Laboratory is located at the Academic and Development Centre, Building G183 Block D.
More on the Potchefstroom Campus
- Facilitated peer-to-peer group consultations, ensuring comfortable spaces where students will be able to learn from one another.
- Hand-outs to support students with their academic writing skills.
- Special projects with faculties, which embed the Potchefstroom Campus Writing Centre as an academic writing intervention, especially for modules with writing assignments. The Writing Centre has standing projects with the Faculty of Law, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, and Faculty of Humanities. To incorporate the Writing Centre in your course please contact Mr Zander Janse van Rensburg.
- Postgraduate writing workshops. These workshops provide guidance in the writing of dissertations and theses. To organize a workshop please contact Mr Zander Janse van Rensburg.
The Potchefstroom Campus Writing Centre is located at Building E8 Room G44.
More on the Vaal Triangle Campus
- The Vaal Triangle Campus Writing Laboratory is located at Building 13 (the Library) SL328