The NWU Writing Centre is dedicated to the improvement of student academic writing. Developing one’s writing skills does not end at university level, but is a lifelong skill and an invaluable tool for effective communication. The Writing Centre assists students in planning and structuring their written assignments. It is also a safe space in which students are assisted to become more confident in their own academic voice. To achieve this, the NWU has a number of consultants who assist students during consultations. This service is free of charge and students are welcome to make appointments with a consultant at any one of the three campuses’ writing laboratories.
The general services the NWU Writing Centre offers students include:
- individual face-to-face consultation sessions;
- following a student-centred approach with each consultation session that acknowledges students’ abilities, in order to assist them to develop their own academic writing skills; and
- assisting under- and postgraduate students to develop their own voice in the academic environment.
The NWU Writing Centre does not:
- proofread and edit – consultants do not correct any mistakes or edit students’ writing; or
- make any recommendations with regard to subject content of students’ writing.
The NWU Writing Centre has a conveniently located writing laboratory on each campus:
- The Potchefstroom Campus Writing Laboratory is located at Building E8G44,
- The Vaal Triangle Campus Writing Laboratory is located at Building 13 (the Library) SL328, and
- The Mafikeng Campus Writing Laboratory is located at the Academic and Development Centre, Building G183 Block D.
Choose the campus below, where you wish to have your consultations.