20–28 January 2023 • NWU School of Music & Conservatory • Potchefstroom, South Africa
The organisers regret to announce that the MANSH-NWU International Piano Competition had to be cancelled indefinitely due to circumstances beyond their control. Thank you for your interest and support and apologies for any inconvenience.
Dates & Venue
20–28 January 2023
School of Music & Conservatory
62 Thabo Mbeki Way
20 Jan 2023 ~ Day 1 — Arrival and registration
21 Jan 2023 ~ Day 2 — Arrival, registration and opening concert
22 Jan 2023 ~ Day 3 — Preliminary round
23 Jan 2023 ~ Day 4 — Preliminary round
24 Jan 2023 ~ Day 5 — Semi-final round
25 Jan 2023 ~ Day 6 — Semi-final round
26 Jan 2023 ~ Day 7 — Workshops
27 Jan 2023 ~ Day 8 — Final round
28 Jan 2023 ~ Day 9 — Final round
Free programme with no repetition of pieces, except that pieces from the selection round may be included only once in any of the programmes for the following rounds.
The repertoire should include conventional Western classical music (Baroque through Romantic), and contemporary classical music from all cultures and traditions, originally composed for a keyboard instrument, i.e., harpsichord or piano. Arrangements of popular songs or music from musicals / soundtracks are not acceptable.
All rounds are to be performed from memory.
Selection round: Two contrasting works (maximum 20 minutes)
Preliminary round: 15–20 minutes*
Semi-final round: 35–40 minutes*
Final round: 50–55 minutes*
* Including breaks off-stage
- There is NO AGE LIMIT. The competition is open to candidates of all ages.
- The competition is open to candidates of all nationalities.
- During the registration at the competition venue, candidates will have to show official and valid documents as proof of their identity.
- The jury’s decisions are final and irrevocable. The jury may decide not to award one or any of the prizes.
- The performances are to be played from memory.
- All performances are open to the public.
- In case of radio or television productions or audio and/or video recordings of any of the rounds, the participating candidates have no right to advance financial claims or requests towards producers or broadcasters.
- Competition prizes will be awarded in South African Rand (ZAR) at the end of the competition.
- Participation at the competition implies the tacit consent of the above.
- If there is a dispute about the interpretation of the rules, the valid text will be the English one.
To be announced.
1st prize — €6,000
2nd prize — €3,000
3rd prize — €2,000
- Audience prize — €500
- Best performance of a Romantic work — €500
- Best performance of a South African work — €500*
* It is not compulsory to include a South African work in any of the programmes.
Accommodation & Meals
- The first twenty candidates accepted as participants to the competition will be given preference to be placed with guest hosts and can stay for free for the duration of the competition.
- Accommodation for additional participants will be organised in nearby guesthouses, for their own account.
- In both instances, breakfast will be included.
- Lunch and dinner will be for participants' own accounts. There are several restaurants within walking distance from the competition venue.
- Candidates who would prefer to stay in a guesthouse rather than with guest hosts, should indicate it on the application form.
Participants will not be reimbursed for any travel expenses.
Online applications must be submitted at https://nwumusic.co.za/2023-ipc-application/
The following information and specific documents are required for each application:
- Digital copy of the applicant's identity document.
- Curriculum vitae/bio in English (maximum 350 words), PDF only.
- One high resolution (minimum 300dpi) black and white press photo.
- Programmes for all the rounds.
- Proof of payment of the application fee (see next section).
- The private/public links to two video recordings of the applicant's performances of two works of contrasting character (maximum 20 minutes' total duration) made available on YouTube or Vimeo. (If you don't already have a channel on either platform, find instructions to create one here or here.)
Deadline for applications: Monday
31 October 7 November 2022, 23:00 SAST (GMT+2).
Candidates will not be considered for admission to the competition without payment of the application fee:
- International applicants — €100
- South African citizens — ZAR1,600
The application fee is non-refundable.
Bank account details for EFT:
Bank name: ABSA
Account name: NWU DIVERSE
Account number: 670-642-313
Account type: CHEQUE
Branch code: 632-005
SWIFT code: ABSAZAJJ (for international transfers)
Reference: Music Org8281 Initials&Surname
Please upload proof of payment of the application fee in your online application (see previous section).
Announcement of Participants
The candidates admitted as participants for the competition will be announced on Monday 14 November 2022.
Prof Waldo Weyer — email@example.com
Also subscribe to the social media channels for regular news and announcements: