Frequently Asked Questions about application and selection


I haven't completed Matric. Can I apply for music study?

University study requires at least a completed Matric (National Senior Certificate) with the relevant endorsement for diploma or degree study.

If you are currently in Matric, you can apply now and participate in the selection process, but your final admission will depend on your official Matric results.

I completed Matric with only an endorsement for certificate study. Can I apply for music study?

The School of Music doesn't offer any certificate programmes, only diploma and degree programmes. It is therefore not possible to study music without an endorsement for diploma or degree study.

I meet the minimum entry requirements for a diploma / degree programme. Will I be accepted?

Meeting the minimum entry requirements (e.g. APS) does not guarantee admission. All applicants also have to complete certain selection procedures (including an audition). Due to limited space for new students, only the strongest and most suitable candidates are accepted on merit for admission.

Do you offer instruction in rap / hip-hop?

No, vocal instruction focuses on classical music, including opera, and Contemporary Commercial Music (CCM) which includes jazz, pop and musical theatre.

Do you offer instruction in sound engineering / music production / DJing

No, sound engineering / music production / DJing are not offered in any of our programmes.

However, music technology is offered as a specialisation in the BMus programme.

If I have been accepted for admission, where can I find accommodation in Potchefstroom?

In your application for admission to North-West University you can indicate whether you want to be considered for placement in any of the residences. For private accommodation, you can consult Pukkiverblyf.

Please note: You are solely responsible for finding and paying for your own accommodation. The North-West University in general and the School of Music in particular cannot provide you with accommodation or assist you in finding accommodation.


Return to Applications & Auditions